How Landlords Participate in the
Housing Choice Voucher (Sec 8) Program
If you are a new landlord, submit the following documents to CMHA:
▪ Tax ID or SSN verification
▪ Form W-9
▪ Voided check (for direct deposit)
▪ Management Agreement (owner will have someone acting in your behalf)
▪ Submit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 330-368-3125
Common Fail Items for Inspections
- Smoke detectors are required on each level of the house, including basements and attics with floors.
- All steps (inside and outside) which have 4 or more steps require a handrail. No loose handrails. Treads must be even and level.
- All interior stairways and halls must be well lit.
- All porches higher than 30 inches off the ground must have a railing.
- All windows must be in good condition and have no broken or cracked panes which can cause air leakage or cuts.
- All windows that are accessible from the ground must have workable locks.
- All bathrooms must have a workable window or vent.
- All switches and outlets must have covers with GFCI outlets. Ground Faults Interrupter Circuits must test and reset.
- All electrical splices must be in a junction box with a lid attached.
- No exposed, bare or frayed electrical wiring.
- No open slots or knock outs in the circuit breaker box permitted.
- All water heaters must be equipped with a temperature/pressure relief valve and a diverter tube extending to within 6 inches from the floor.
- Flue pipes on gas furnaces and water heaters must slope upward to the chimney.
- All cover panels must be in place on furnaces and water heaters.
- No deadbolt locks requiring key to unlock from both sides (double key locks).
- All exterior doors must have locks, including basement doors.
- Appliances supplied by the landlord must be in good working condition.
- All plumbing fixtures – sinks, bathtub, toilet, etc., must be secure.
- All repairs must be completed and ready for inspection. No credit will be given for work yet to be completed.
- No over loaded outlets.
- No short circuits in lighting.
- No un-vented heaters or kerosene space heaters.
- No tripping hazards such as loose or torn carpeting. No cracks or uneven sidewalks.
- No cable wires or phone cables on the floor, stretched across rooms, or from room to room (tripping hazard).
- All windows must stay open without a prop.
- No standing water in basement.
- No leaking pipes or faucets.
- All light fixtures must have a shade.
- All sinks and tubs must have control knobs.
- No missing tiles (floor or ceiling).
- All dryers must be vented.
- No garbage or debris in or around the premises (old furniture, tires, trash, etc.).
- All doors must be in hinges.
- Floors must be solid and not give more than one inch under foot traffic.
Additional Documents for Landlords:
View Our Frequently Asked Questions!